Got a call by way of a contractor I've started to work for recently, from a HO. He stated that he'd had a problem with the EC who installed his underground svc. After the service was cut by another contractor who was installing patio pavers, LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) was called in to temp out a new feed. I got there last Friday and the ground was frozen solid (and will probably remain so for awhile yet). We agreed that he should probably wait until it warms up some. I walked around the exterior of the house to where the service came in and saw this:
[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

LIPA's feed ran along the fence to the middle of the property where it ran up a utility pole (then overhead, out to the street). The feed ran right through the face of the meter pan. I'd asked how long ago this happened (expecting a week or so...) and was told March of 2008! LIPA didn't even put the line on the fence, they left it on the ground! The HO moved it up there.

I contacted a friend who works for LIPA, explained the situation and was told that it was their policy to leave it on the ground and they normally give the HOs x# of days to fix it! Holy liability batman! I don't understand how a POCO would risk that even for a couple of days.
Did a temp overhead SVC until the HO decides if they want to keep the OH or repair/replace the underground. The HO also told me he never got a copy of the inspection cert and the EC isn't returning his calls, so I don't even know (yet) if it's legal.

Last edited by Trumpy; 01/13/09 09:38 PM. Reason: To fix image links