I'd like to start off with a post I saw at another forum:

"I'm trying to transition from union JW to contractor. Just finished a commercial garage under handyman license, $500 limit. After 50 hours I thought this wasn't right. The property owner kept promising me lots of work with other properties, got me for 2 more projects without pay, then complained angrily that I better finish faster, since the tenants were already moving in.

Owner refused to authorize me to PU permits, or request inspection, but agreed to let a C-10 check my work. Owner cried over C-10 charging $160 for 2 hours, and hit up new tenants for cost of new electrical panels, T-8 fluorescents and several other items.

These commercial garages were gutted & wrecked. Prior evictions ripped out all the conduit, fixtures, and pluming. I called the city and found out if the inspector showed up, everything would have been red tagged, and the new tenant (friend of the family) would not have had to pay a dime.

Needless to say the property owner did not appreciate me disclosing this to the tenant, who then demanded to deduct those charges from his rent. So, the owner did not give me more work at other properties, but did disclose to me they just gave another hack $24000 because, they said, paying me little chunks under $500 per project was too time consuming and annoying to them.

I am now trying to get my experience voucher from this owner, for the CSLB, so I could test for my license next year, but this is like pulling teeth without any leverage."

I see at least three basic business lessons in that post. Since I don't want to do ALL the talking .... who out there can name them?

(BTW, where this guy is working, jobs under $500 do not require a contractors' license. Testing for the license requires you document journeyman level work for five years - with affidavits from the customers or employers. Let's not get personal, even if you recognize the post).