Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Night storage space heating usually gets a 3x35A service but I don't think a system like that has been installed anywhere during the last 30 years. They were insanely popular during the late 1960s and 1970s though, particularly in new construction.

Although rare for new builds, storage heaters are still used here as retrofits, mostly because of the easy and cheap installation.

I have night storage heaters throughout my own house, mostly because there were already a few installed with E7 when I moved here, so the quickest, easiest way at the time was to just add a couple more in the other rooms.

I don't like storage heating though, due to the lack of control. It's especially problematical now we're approaching autumn, when one day can be warm & sunny, the next cool, damp, & miserable.

Eventually I'd like to dump the storage heaters and run the usual hot-water heating system, but of course that's going to be a major job.

Now people have a huge problem upgrading to any other heat source since these houses don't even have a chimney (and burners vented straight through the wall are illegal at least in Vienna).

Is there an officially stated reason for that? The wall-vented balanced flue has become pretty much the norm for retrofit boilers here these days.