Dis-claimer:
Please do NOT take this thread as a Government bashing thread as it is not meant as such.

OK, it is nearly winter here in New Zealand, there is talk of black-outs, if we "don't save power".

There are 3 schools of thought here in NZ with respect to saving power:
  • Pensioners: These folks will do the hard yards and freeze to help the country out, using the most minimal power that they can.
    They are also the least likely to complain about power outages.
  • Home-owners: These people are neither here nor there regarding power savings, they like a nice warm home and will light their house up like a Xmas tree, if it means personal security.
  • Students and the Un-employed:Hey, you have money to burn, who cares until the power account comes in?
    Life is good, but don't you dare cut our power off if we don't pay our bill, it's only NZ$400, what's the problem?
    Don't hassle us for having one hour showers or heating the lounge with the wall oven on fan bake.

As an Electrician, I seem to think that there is NOTHING being done in this country for increasing actual capacity.
I would like to see the Government get all the way out of electricity generation, it has held us back since the 1950's.
The idea in this country that Government knows best and can manage our resources, is just wrong.
Every year (I think I bought this up last winter) we have a shortage of electricity and it is us in the South Island that suffer.
Why has this not been addressed, or fixed?
We have colder temperatures down here, yet the 500kV DC link still sends power north, even though the lakes are nearly dry down here.