I currently work in a county jail as the electrician. I worked construction before this and have a masters license. Its a very different and rewarding job.

I work on the usual power stuff: motors, breakers, plugs and lights. I also work on the doors, some of which use 120 or even 480 volts. Along with kitchen equipment, laundry equipment, Intercom equipment, generators, UPS machines, and HVAC equipment. Even work on pneumatic AC controls.

The jail has multiple buildings and in a way its like driving a service truck but to the same buildings every time.

My troubleshooting skills have skyrocketed since I got this job.

The drawback... I got to do plumbing sometimes. Not my favorite thing to do but water leaks and sewage backups need to be fixed ASAP and sometimes I am the closest body to the problem.

By the way a jail is a factory, we may not turn out widgets but we do process inmates.

I have already had a background check and I do not need to walk through the metal detector. I have fixed the metal detector a few times as a matter of fact.

One last thing, the inmates are my customers. They may be criminals but they deserve a safe and working electrical system. I have had zero problems from the bosses scheduling shutdowns when a hazard needed to be repaired. They actually bend over backward to accommodate the shutdown.

Never a dull day here.