Sorry to go way off topic (to a degree), guys,
I was reading an article in the June 1988 edition of Electronics Australia (yes, I collect these mags) and the article was talking about Geiger counters.

What sparked my interest about this article was that the author mentioned things like clocks and watches that had "glow-in-the-dark" faces and hands.

Now, the author was talking about after WWII when ladies were working in the clock and watch-making factories of places like then-Russia, to apply the paint to the certain parts of the face, etc they would dab the end of the brush on the end of their tongues, to help get the paint (which contained all sorts of nastiness) to stick to the metal.
Thousands of women died later on, at quite early ages, through what was known as "Radium Jaw".

Apparently, if you can find an old clock or watch that has one of these faces on it, you can still get quite a high reading of radio-activity with a Geiger counter.
We never used to worry about this sort of thing years ago, mind you, we have gone digital since then.

My apologies if I've taken this thread too far off topic.