found out that they do NOT want this in the flush-mount medicine cabinet, they want it in a surface-mount cabinet above the toilet. They had just wanted me to provide a receptacle behind the cabinet, and they would have a hole in it to reveal said receptacle, I nixed this plan due to flammable material between the face of the outlet and the "surface."

so now I have a couple new issues, IMO this cabinet is still permanently mounted and therefore effectively a part of the structure, and conviniently the new placement makes it extremely inconvinient to use this outlet for anything done in front of the mirror (i.e. hairdrying) and I'm thinking of just securing a wire near one corner of the planned cabinet, then cutting a neat rectangular hole w/ a jigsaw in the back of the cabinet/sheetrock, and securing an old work box in a way so that the wings grip the sheetrock. as far as I can tell this presents no clear code issues, I (well my boss...) will talk to the AHJ when the customer decides the final hardware for the bathroom

E57: sorry, 5' is nowhere close, I was tired and got my measurments a bit wonky

TKB: nope, not quite far enough north