I'm with Electure and NJWirenut. I used to work with a bunch of that equipment in Northern NJ mansions, and even more here in the DC area in much smaller homes. The service company I worked for here had quite an impressive stock of Touch Plate panels and parts. I enjoyed the challenge of working with them, especially after someone tried to "fix it themselves". I love doing control wiring of any kind.

I seem to recall that the backboard wasn't really wood, but more of a phenolic material. I still didn't like how there was so much space on the low voltage side, yet the high voltage side was so cramped where more space was really needed. On any new installations that I did, I would run a nipple or two to a trough below the cabinet and do all of my line-voltage terminations in there. I'd just run pigtails from the relay terminals through the nipples into the trough so no actual splices had to be done in the HV compartment of the panel.

The printed circuit board allows for an interface with computer-based energy management systems. It's not sophisticated at all, but gives a nice and easy way to interface lighting controls with security systems (IE: Panic buttons) and remote programs for off-site control of lighting and devices.

It's just a crappy-looking installation, that's all. Touch Plate is pretty good stuff in my book otherwise.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."