Jimmy,

Not to throw stones here and I still could still be wrong. 1910.269 is under electrical distribution. The OP was a maintenance question which typicallay falls under subpart S of 1910. (the .300's). Also NFPA 70E is only applicable if adopted by local juristdiction and or by company policy. It may sound I am arguing the case that it is not required to check to see if the power is truely off even if the safety switch is off, I am not. All I am say here is as much time I have spent in Subpart S, dealing with legalitities of code enforcement, and how OSHA writes and enforeces thier rules, I do not think, and like I said I could be wrong, I can not currently say that OHSA specifically requires "test before touch".

I say this because OSHA tries to stay away from making specific statements. They like to stay as broad as possible and leave the specfic rules up to the local jurisdictions. Also OSHA just revised 1910 subpart S just last year. To sum up the revised subpart S, OSHA inspectors are going to be "electrical inspectors" too. This is going to be fun to see how it is going to play out. We got OSHA and now house inspectors playing electrical inspectors. Sorry for the segway. In short you can not presumes the OSHA rule requires this. It should be adpopted by policy just to C.Y.A. If it is currently a safety issue of some sort, then the person needs to cafefully go though the manusha of only the applicble rules, regs, and polices. I will go through Subpart S later and see what I can find. stay tuned.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa