I can vividly remember a similar instance when I was in 3rd grade in my own classroom. Funny how certain things stick with you. The fellow was not seriously hurt anyway. He was changing out a once of those synced clocks that went "ca-thunk" every minute. I dont know the specifics, but I recall the sparks shooting out of the box on the wall while he had his hand in there and him falling off his ladder. Startled us all pretty good, but he got back up and assured us he was OK before leaving the room.

I know that as a homeowner in this state I can legally change my own light fixtures and switches without having to call an electrician. But once it becomes your job or you do it for pay for other people I thought that a license or something was necessary. Shouldn't the school be held accountable for asking him to do something that should not legally have been part of his job?

I actually have a new ballast sitting downstairs right now waiting to go into a failing garage light. There is nothing dangerous about changing them as long as you turn the power off!

as far as plugs, yes, that would be great, but adding a few more pennies to the manufacturing cost of something wont happen unless it's required to happen unfortunately.