IMHO, SLR is obsolete. It was a powerful (if expensive) technique required back when the photographer used a viewfinder, but now that the viewfinder and film are one-in-the-same and the viewfinder is a 3" LCD on the back of the camera, it's rather pointless.

There are plenty of other cameras out there that give you SLR-like features for a whole lot more convenience and less cost. You can get frames that take lenses but aren't "SLR". But, do you really need to add lenses if your camera has 15x built-in optical zoom? The Sony Cyber-shot DHC-H5 I use at work offers pretty much everything an SLR does, but has the 12x lens internal, which makes it a ton more convenient. I don't like it, though- too bulky. I'd much rather prefer a full featured (eg includes manual aperature and exposure controls) point-n-shoot camera that fits in my pocket, even if I have to make do with 3x optical zoom.

My dad used his 2.0mp fuji with 6x optical zoom all the time, he loved that thing and really got into photography, so he bought an $800 7mp SLR. Yet, he still only ever uses his 2.0mp fuji because the SLR is too much of a pain to deal with.