Back a little more than twenty years ago, I took a vacation and was part of a tour group to see Australia and Haley's Comet back in 1986. We also visited Cains, Alice Springs and Ayer's Rock, Melborne and Sydney. And along with the usual souvineers I bought an Australian wall outlet, and plug that goes with it. Was just looking at it closely, and noticed that the mounting holes look to match American electrical boxes, 3 1/4 inch apart, and the outlet came with what looks like number 6 screws. Question: I also noticed where the connections on teh back, set screws going into metal cups. I would guess that one inserts the stripped wire into the appropriate cup/hole, and tighten the set screw. Thing is, the cup / hole is very big, about 5 mm diameter. Looks like the wire is to be inserted into something else, that then in turn is inserted into these big cup / holes, yes? So one could replace a bad outlet and not get the wires mixed up? The outlet's construction could let you get the hot (220V!) on the ground, and it wouldn't get shorted to the electrical box and earth/ground via conduict or earth/ground wire.

The outlet has built in switches that would shut the hot off, one per socket. But there's no interlock to prevent someone from plugging something in while the socket is hot.