Don,
You were right, Eaton/Cutler-Hammer has a UL classified AFCI circuit breaker for T&B as well as Siemens, SQD Homeline, Murray, Crouse Hinds, and GE. blush

Thanks again.

Hi sparkyinak, Thanks for the reply.
My little rant was based on the haze of nostalgia,
These breakers at one time were all manufactured using an industry standard interchangeable design beginning decades ago. The listing for use requirements have been in the NEC for a long time, but it was “accepted” practice by many electricians to use another manufactures breaker in a comparable panel that was electrically/mechanically identical and had the same UL listing. Most electrical inspectors of the day would allow it without question because everyone knew these were identical except for the brand name or color of the switch handle. Many were even marketed as “interchangeable” not that long ago.
It may have never been “up to code”, but I can’t recall ever hearing of any problems occurring because of this practice. I am sure though, that some insurance company would love to use this as an excuse not to pay a claim and hang the installing electrician out to dry so, we are in the situation we are in today, which is using only “classified” breakers listed for use in that manufactures panel. smile