I've been reading a few articles around the internet that are suggesting that Denmark will be changing over to CEE 7/5 socket outlets i.e. French-style 16A sockets with an earthing pin from 2008/2009.

At present the Danish socket is a bit problematic from a safety point of view. It's got exactly the same pin configuration as a common earthed 16A European CEE 7/7 plug, but has no means of making contact with the ground terminals.

i.e. you can plug a French, German, Swedish, Finnish or Norwegian earthed (grounded) plug into a Danish socket, get power but no earth connection.

The Danish plug has a 3rd pin to achieve the earth connection.

It seems that CEE 7/5 will be adopted as it gives the Danes a polarised setup that accepts CEE 7/7 plugs (the harmonised Schuko-style plug found on almost all European appliances thesedays)

It's not a huge change, but it does mean they gain full compatibility with their near neighbours in Scandinavia and Germany without loosing polarised connectors!

Although, you can be sure any CEE 7/5 socket in Denmark will be designed to Danish standards i.e. boxes, screws, requirements for shuttering etc.

Just to irritate the British members on the board.. Do you think perhaps a BS version of CEE 7/5 could be used in the UK ? All that would be required for compatibility with ring circuits would be a fused socket.

Last edited by djk; 08/28/07 12:14 PM.