Originally Posted by derater
I've done dozens of upgrades, just none quite like this one. Main ? was using 2nd lug to go DIRECTLY to other blg. On cable size; yeah I can reference the table same as anyone; thought someone would know off the top of their head. Existing service is 200a. H/O added attached garage, 24 x 24 addition, heated swimming pool, hot tub, and lots of landscape lighting. Pole blg is for auto repair and restoration shop w/ welders, compressor and of course lights and receptacles. Did I do a load calc, on NEC embossed paper, no. Who here thinks upgrade unnecessary ?

"yeah I can reference the table same as anyone"

This job needs to be calculated, there is no table for it.

No one is saying the upgrade is not necessary, were just saying, you have to calculate, and layout the job, it's not a typical, single dwelling service upgrade.

In our utility area, on job like you described, we have to submit a load sheet to the utility before we can proceed.

Try to get all the information, on the existing loads, and the intended loads, for the pole barn. Use scrap paper, no needd for anything formal.

"Pole blg is for auto repair"

You will need to know all the loads for that building, not just I am using it for a repair shop. Get some figures and we can start working thru it.

Take a look at this link http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_commercial_load_calculations/

Last edited by LK; 08/09/07 11:32 PM.