We are talking about the use of the white/orange and white/green pairs. These are also the transmit and receive pairs. There is absolutely no way that reversing them by using the A or B wiring pattern can possibly have any operational effect. "If" the white/orange pair has a tighter twist length, then reversing it to other pin positions simply affects either the transmit or receive pair's carrying capacity.

Please, please, please disregard the use of the "RJ" terminology. This is an entirely separate industry; a set of FCC wiring patterns for voice circuits for telephone companies (utilities) to follow. The term "RJ45" is perhaps the most grossly-misused term in the entire industry. Trust me, what an RJ45 is and what people think it is are two very different things. It's just the computer geeks linking them because the jacks appeared to be similar that caused this debacle.

I can put an RJ14 wiring pattern on any of today's modular jacks, or I should say any jack manufactured since 1974, no matter how many pin positions that the jack holds.

We are only talking about pin positions, not the hardware itself. This is a HUGE misconception in the voice and data industry. You will likely never see a true "RJ45" jack and if you do encounter one that is still wired and working, please send me a photo, along with your name and address and I will send you a dollar.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."