Does Vista have the capabilities to drive Intel's latest and greatest CPUs?

I can't remember if it was the "Core Duo" or another Processor, but in order for that CPU to fully function, the Operating System needed to have capability.
Seems like it [ the CPU ]was able to work as a 64 Bit CPU under compatible Operating Systems, or run kind of like "Standard Mode" under non compatible OS's.

Sounds a lot like the 80386 scenario, with Windows 3.1 / 3.11 WFW and the "Virtual 386 Mode"

Remember how the 80286 could run in "Enhanced Mode" (or was that "Extended Mode"?), or in "Real Mode" - but a full reset was required to switch modes?

Anyhow, is Vista a 64 Bit OS - or capable for a 64 Bit Intel CPU?

Nevertheless, I am satisfied with XP Pro.
So far, it is the most stable + workable OS from Redmond Washington based personnel (Microsoft) I have dealt with.

"Old Windows" (3.0, 3.1 and 3.11 Windows For Workgroups) running on top of MS DOS 5.0, 6.0, 6.2 and 6.22 were "OK" - if frequent hangs were not a bother.

Running Real-Mode + DPMI Applications under MS DOS was the most stable during those earlier years (1990-1995).

When Windows '95 came out, I waited until mid 1996 to go that route.
Built a brand new Pentium P5 166 Mhz based machine, and installed Win 95 on it.
Absolutely LOVED WIN 95!!! It was like coming out of the Stone Age to the Industrial Age!

Windows 98 was so extremely buggy, I waited until like 2002 to even think of using it for an OS.
When I finally obtained a stable version of Win 98, it was "OK"

Then came XP Pro (version 2.5xxx from one update and patch kit).
So far my favorite!

When XP first came out, I had all kinds of trouble calls from friends + family (XP Home first release), so everyone get ready to hear from those distant relatives and friends who only call when Haley's Comet nears the Earth - because here comes Vista!!!
smile eek

Maybe after 18 Months of "Delta Testing" for Vista, and a new machine to run it on, it may find its way on the drive as an optional Operating System.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!