What I am callo\ing "305A" boxes are the final piece of equipment from the phone company. The only identification is the "305A" stamping in the cover. This design is, as I said, quite dated. The wires look to be #18- quite large by today's standards.

Oddly enough, the phone company assures me that they can provide me DSL over this Sputnik-era hardware. Hence the desire to be able to integrate this with the phone company.

The wire terminations are the type where you wrap the stripped wire around a screw, then tighten.

Looking at the connectors (at my end), they are identified with both "A" (AT&T) and "B" (TIA) color codes. The phone would use the middle four places.

Prior to my moving into this place, the existing phone jacks were the mid-60's style, consisting of a large plug having four large round pins, and a jack that accepted it. The previous tenant had trashed the place, cutting the wire in several places, etc.

I was able to 'jury rig' service using some Cat 5 connector and a jack ... but I figure it's past time I did things in a more professional manner. I suppose I can -once again- perform 'hit or miss' at the 305 block until something works .... but I'd much prefer something along the lines of 'the blue wire goes to the screw on the left' sort of thing.

I was just hoping someone here had the 'history' to recognize this equipment.