Not to beat a dead horse but I just had a situation with a village not willing to recognize my certificate of registration.

The reason I called the village questioning the fee is the fact that their registration fee is $150.00, a little ridiculous IMO.

I explained to the lady answering the phone in the building dept. that there is a statute in place that restricts a village from imposing this fee if a registration fee has already been paid in another village. She said it only applies to plumbers because they are licensed by the state. I asked if there was anyone else I could talk to and she said, "You can take it up with the head of the building dept., Good luck."

I explained the statute to this gentleman and he said, " We are not aware of any such statute." I said, " I can fax it over if you like." "Go ahead.", he said.

So I did and I called him the next day to verify he had received my fax. He did get it and he forwarded the fax to the village attorney. Got a call the next day and was told the statute does apply and I do not have to pay the $150.00.

Now, I may have opened a can of trouble for myself when it comes time for inspection...

Also, I sent an email to the State Attorney's office asking if a village could refuse to abide by the statute. I got a letter today stating "The State Attorney's office can only advise attorneys and state offices in legal matters. However, we have enclosed paperwork from a lawsuit brought by an electrical contractor against the village of belveidere for the same reasons."

The contractor won.......

[This message has been edited by sparky 134 (edited 10-28-2005).]