resqcapt19 posted this little gem in a thread a while ago:

(65 ILCS 5/11 33 1) (from Ch. 24, par. 11 33 1)
Sec. 11 33 1. The corporate authorities of each municipality may require the registration of electrical contractors, and may impose an annual registration fee of $25 on each registered contractor. An electrical contractor who is registered in one municipality, however, shall not be required by any other municipality to be registered or to pay a registration fee in the other municipality.

....which is (as you obviously know) what you are referring to. I have cut & pasted it to word and then I print it up for contractors to take in when they go for permit. They show my home town registration along with this. One village was downright rude throwing it back at the GC telling him they don't need to look at anything. They were asking for $75 too. Oddly enough, when he went in to pick up his permit, they gave it to him without requiring the fee.

I had an inspector explain that in order to license around here the municipality has to maintain a licensing board and test. But the license he was talking about may be different that the license these people want. I guess anybody call something a license.

I would bring in a copy of your license and registration as well as the above verbage and politly inform them that it is illegal to require and they may want have their city attorney take look into it. IT could also be the result of nobdy knowing and nobody doing anything about it.