First and foremost you have to be willing to work hard and long hours. If you aren't willing to work over 8 hours a day you'll never get off the ground. Now I work M-F 7-6ish with an occasional Saturday, but when I was getting started I worked anytime I could get work, often even starting jobs as late as 9PM if that's when the customer wanted me there. And I worked every Saturday and a few Sundays.

Second, in the beginning you may have to be willing to do non-electrical work if a customer asks. Anything for a buck. I hung a customers Christmas wreaths 3 years in a row.

Third, save your money. If your cash reserves don't go up every month, you'll have a hard time growing. If you can't force yourself to save, just get a job working for someone else. But if you have the discipline to restrict your spending and save, you'll do well. It's OK to use credit and if used properly, it's a great tool. But I've seen many guys run up bills at the supply house and on credit cards that they couldn't pay off because they spent the income from the jobs(on vacations, booze, women, etc.) before they paid for the materials.

Charge enough for your work. This took me the longest to learn. I short changed myself for years. It's great to give the customer a fair deal, but I heard too many customers say "is that all?" when I handed them the bill. I don't hear that much anymore, but I don't get many complaints either.

I don't know the exact formula for success, but I do know if you follow this advice you'll be on the right track.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 07-10-2005).]