I just got some prints today from an unknown GC for a new 11000 sf truck repair shop & office. Trouble is there is almost no electrical on it. On top of that there is not 1 piece of equipment listed not even a garage opener. Nothing about office A/C. No outlets, no lighting in the shop or outside, nothing for service.

The GC wants the bidding EC's to guess what's needed where. Then come up with a lighting layout, service specs, etc as part of the proposal.. On top of that your bidding against other EC's for the same GC. So who ever leaves out the most has the lowest price and probibly winning bid. Instead of one person getting paid to do the electrical layout the GC has a number of EC each do it for free.

I don't have a problem laying out the electric. My beef is being expected to do it for free to get a chance of getting the work. On top of that you have no input on what the owner wants for type of light, outlets, or equipment.

Some things you can charge on adds but it would get to be too much with this. Something like "oh you need electric for the furnaces, that not on my print". Sure I could add for furnaces but how many?

How would you handle this?
1. Walk away
2. Bid only what's on the plan even if the GC told you to "add what's needed"
3. SF bid on the high side
4. Bid it way low with less than what is reasonable (something like a 100 amp service, only a few lights ond GFI's)
5. Spen the time specing out lights, possable equipment, service calcs, to bid the job how you think it should be

I like #1

Tom