Look, I don't know how to make this any clearer, you DON'T have to pay employees to drive the truck home. The employees are not involved in any work related activities.

What about employees who receive a car allowance but choose to drive their own car? Must they be paid to drive to the workplace and drive back home?

If insurance is a concern, buy gap insurance.

Driving the truck home is not a work related activity, and the employee is not entitled to wages for this activity.

Here's proof from the California Chamber of Commerce website (sent to me by a real attorney):

Travel Time
====================

Time spent in home-to-work travel by an employee in an employer-provided vehicle is not "hours worked" and therefore does not have to be paid.

The same is true of activities performed by an employee that are incidental to the use of the vehicle for commuting, such as filling the fuel tank. These provisions apply only if:

The travel is within the normal commuting area for the employer's business; and

The use of the vehicle is subject to an agreement between the employer and the employee (or the employee's representative).

See Mandatory Mode of Transportation for an important exception to this rule created by the California Supreme Court in 2000.

--------------------------------
That's my proof. Where's yours?