You are correct Dave. Coupons would have to be built into your rates just like free stuff does. Like free estimates, free labor with carpet purchase, free dvd player with the purchase of a big screen tv, etc.
All of these are sales gimmicks to increase sales. These would be included in your advertising and marketing budget.
They are part of your overhead like shirts, hats, cofee cups, etc.
A plumber in my area has coupons in the paper all the time. Right now he gives a free turkey with every service call while supplies last. Sometimes its just an ad not a coupon. Judging by the vintage car collection he has I believe he is doing very well. There is a story about him in the successful contractor magazine at www.thesuccessfulcontractor.com It's in the Winter 2004 back issue. His website is www.mikebachmanplumbing.com Alot of these guys also have internet coupons. Housewifes love coupons.
I want to run my electrical service business like his plumbing business. There isn't anyone in the electrical serivice business in my area operating like he is so I am using him for an example.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 12-21-2004).]