Hello all;

Looking for the Group's assistance on a "California" design issue, in regards to Seismic Bracing
(AKA: "Keep stuff from swaying all crazy-like, during an Earthquake")

More directly, the better (Engineered or Scientific) methods & formulas, for bracing Suspended Conduit Racks (AKA: "Trapeze"), plus Suspended rows of Fluorescent Strip Lighting (8 foot fixtures, in long rows).

Trapeze / Racks constructed from Unistrut, suspended via Threaded Rod segments.
Strip fixtures suspended via 3/8" Threaded Rod.

All running +150' across open areas, which shall be used for General Sales to the Public.

In the past, I have done "Kickers" every 20' & at opposite sides, having one piece of strut parallel to the Trapeze, and one at a right angle to the Trapeze... alternating sides every 20'. Same with the Strip Fixtures, but instead of "Kickers" made from Unistrut, the "Kickers" were either E.M.T. or threaded Rod.

So far, no problems or correction notices.

I would like to know if there's a better way / formula, so when a large quake hits, I do not see a Live News Report showing all my Conduit + Fixtures laying on top of People!

Any comments are welcome.

Scott35

p.s. We had an event last week - epicenter being apx. 75 miles from the project I am at, with a magnitude around 4.9 to 5.1.
It shook lightly for no more than 5 seconds where I was at (shook the heck out of stuff at the epicenter!), but when I looked up, the Fire Sprinkler lines + HVAC Fan Coils were doing the "Twist"!

That "Dancing" got me going on this current Tirade [Linked Image]

S.E.T.

edited to correct spelling blunders

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 06-22-2005).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!