For a differing opinion, and a more complete discussion of the EPA and this issue, visit www.vermiculite.net

Vermiculite is not, in any way, related to asbestos. It does not burn, nor support mold, nor rot, nor conduct electricity. In many respects, it is an ideal material.
Vermiculite is made from mica, which is heated- making it 'pop' like popcorn, into its' shape. Compress a piece, and you'll see it become mica again.

ONE mine had SOME contamination from a neighboring asbestos deposit. These minerals are not usually associated with each other. The problem was resolved ages ago.

I am also a bit tired of the asbestos hysteria. While the "asbestos hazard" is very real- I knew of this long before 99% of the "experts" out there- it is limited to very few forms of asbestos, and the risk is very dependent on fiber length. Too long or too short, and the fibers are of little hazard.
In it's broadest definition, "asbestos" can even include one mineral that IS associated with it- gypsum! One of the major gypsum manufacturers recognised this early, and took great pains to segregate the two (decades ahead of their competition).


As best as I can tell, the "Vermiculite / Asbestos" connection is a pure concoction of overly broad assertions, half-truths, hysteria, and junk science.

I am also willing to hazard a guess that 99.99% of the dust we stir up in attics is just that- dust!