Also, on the same job, I made a copy/paste error and was 1 number off on the part# on material list-

Not an electrical error, but one time in the Air Force, I ordered a part for the 30mm gun on the A-10 aircraft. The part was valued at about $40,000.

A few days later I was called on the carpet by the Bird Colonel of Supply who wanted to know why I was ordering an entire gun system, valued at around $1.6 million, for a plane that already had a gun!!

After a lot of yelling and screaming involving my chief, my squadron commander, and the 2-star General Numbered Air Force commander (who BTW was a great guy and big movie buff; I became one of his favs for how well I ran the show at the base theatre) it was determined that the part number I had requested was off by one digit.

Why? The card file of part numbers, prepared by the Supply boss' own staff, was wrong!!

The ultimate outcome was a day off work for me, a Supply Colonel who was almost shipped off to a far away resort, and endless hours for him and his staff to go over every single card file on the base!!

Oh, yeah, and the best perk of all was a free steak and lobster dinner for two at the Officer's club, drinks included. When I got the call from the boss of the Officer's Mess, I reminded him I was an enlisted man, he said don't worry. I asked why, he said he wasn't allowed to say.

The mystery was solved a week later, when the General saw me on the flightline and asked if I had enjoyed the dinner. I told him yes, he said next time I see the Supply Colonel to thank him!!

Yep, part of the Supply Colonel's fine was the dinner for chewing me out for no reason. [Linked Image]

I was very lucky to have great commanders during my time in the military. [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.