Guys,
I guess it really just depends on the Lines Company.
Usually here, it's the Inspector that is going to re-fit the meters, that has the say on where they get put.
It's standard company practice at work, to move any existing indoor meters outside when the reticulation system is undergrounded, that much I do know, this usually also entailed a switchboard upgrade.
Ray,
preferably on the South side of the house.
Down here, it's usually the wall of the house that is closest to the pillar box or pole.

Just a note guys, I hope this guy is getting his work inspected as per Regulation 41 (they are still in force, regardless of AS/NZS 3000), this regulation alone would mean that an inspector, (not necessarily a Lines Co one) would have to sign off the job before re-connection.

It pays to check with the customers retailer what they allowed for. In the last couple of years electrical standards, POCO side have dropped, and they may allowed a panel upgrade to be done without meter box change.
Ray,
A thought crosses my mind, who really has the "say" where the meters are "set"?.
I would tend to think that from an operational point of view, it should be the Lines Company, after all it is them that will have to connect them up.
However, I am reminded that the Retailer, needs to be able to access them for reading purposes.
{Rant}
None of this sort of thing occured under the old system, the Power Boards sold the power and "owned" the lines.
Now what we have is a mixed up, wishy-washy system that some of us are still trying to work out.
When the "Free-Market" thing came in, it was hell here for people like the Inspectors at work, because each retailer has thier own meters.
Couple that with some people (consumers) that couldn't work out what they were doing, one guy here locally changed power retailers 5 times in 4 months.
Trying to get anything done by a company at the other end of the country is a worry too.
I'm sick of being asked "Is Ashburton on the north side of Upper Hutt (or some other North Island place)?"
{Rant Over}

Sorry about the soap-box speech, but we have to deal with this sort of incompetence most working days, it makes a job that is normally pretty cool, seem not worth doing at times. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-18-2006).]