Ray,
The use of Certificates of Compliance has got me into really hot water before today.
you mentioned put down on it everything you do.
I was rang on my cellphone at 1730 one night when I was still at work, a guy 40km away was complaining of no hot water.
I told him I'd be there within the hour.
I get after trying to find the house and it's the most over-grown with vines house I've ever seen in my life.
The element had blown and I had to drain the cylinder manually (Plumbers reading here NB: Put a darn Drain cock on your cylinders!!).
I got soaked with cold water and the guy never even offered to help.
Cylinder drained I replaced the element and refilled the cylinder, then the guy came back out from his lounge.
"while you're here, can you have a look at a few things here?"
This question really rubs me up the wrong way at the best of times.
He said he'd had problems with his wiring and wanted it looked at and wanted a power point replaced in the hallway.
I opened the old power point up and was greeted with a White-tailed Spider and old TRS cable, in a state that I can only describe as lethal to any occupants of the house.
I sleeved the ends of the cable and blanked off the socket, with a blank plate and informed the guy that his house needed a re-wire ASAP.
I checked the switch-board and the wiring was worse there, someone had had a good (recent) go at it.
I left and went home, I wrote the following on the COC that night:
Changed 1x Hot Water Cylinder Element, Meggered old one, Open Circuit.
Asked by Owner of premises to replace socket-outlet in hallway, could not do so, because of condition of wiring, made wiring safe and disconnected at supplying switch-board.
Upon removing switch-board cover, to disconnect former circuit, noticed a large number of recent non-compliant joins in wiring, I have advised the client to get these issues attended to as soon as is practicable
Have also contacted the local Supply Authority Inspector to further invesigate

Guys, I don't want to come across here as a "big meanie", it is my job as an Electrician to advise people of electrical hazards.
The guy got the invoice a week later and read my COC (Goes out with the Bill), he stormed into work, he wanted blood so I'm told, I wasn't there at the time.
I did get called into the Boss' office though, he wanted an explanation, how dear I treat HIS customers with such dissent.
I just said I told the truth and walked out.
BTW, I went back to this house 6 months later, as a Fire Officer, we were backing up the Methven Fire Brigade, the house was a total loss even before they got there.
it shut my Boss up though, LOL!. [Linked Image]