I think India is still supposed to have DC in some areas.

I had seen reference to this in various tables of world electricity supplies up until the early 80's, but nowadays I'd be surprised if it does still exist, especially for domestic supply. I haven't seen any mention of DC rated domestic appliances for many years. Though given India's population it probably would be economical to still manufacture for a small market there.
In Sydney the last DC mains were killed off in 1985. It was a 480V centre tapped system feeding parts of the CBD mainly around the harbour. The +/- 240V supplies were used for lighting and appliances up until the 1950's but the 480V was still used for things like lift motors into the 1980's. By then the motor generator AC-DC converters had given way to mercury arc rectifiers.
Many country towns, particularly in Victoria and Western Australia also had DC supplies into the 50's. Interesting stories I've heard include when a light bulb filament went o/c whilst switched on....apparently the arc travelled up out of the light bulb, and up the flex to the ceiling rose. Then there was the electric jug with exposed element plugged into DC...the resulting boiled water had a strange taste with the electrolytic action that had occurred. And of course there's the usual burnt up power transformers when people took their mantel radios to these places and plugged them in.