Actually, BS1363, Schuko, French plugs etc are all rated for 250V.

Power's nominally 230V thorughout Europe thesedays.

As for BS1363 .... I donno I wouldn't particuarly rate it as all that safe it's got a lot of problems and isn't a fundementally safe design.

A schuko socket is recessed and the plug/socket system is designed to prevent you from getting your fingers anywhere near the live pins on the way in (on the 10/16A plugs). This means that the socket itself can be designed to make contact with a larger surface area of the pins. This gives you good contact and no "hot spots".

BS1363 on the otherhand has no recessed sockets so, the pins have to be sheathed to prevent shocks. The socket also only really makes contact with the tips of the pins. If the socket's worn / loose you can end up with pretty seriously hot pins.

Also, when used with ring circuits, the BS1363 system isn't necessarily all that safe as pauluk and others have discussed on this forum many times before.

And, many BS1363 plugs have the fuse holders rivited to the live pin. This riviting isn't always perfect, particularly on some cheap imports, and can result in hot plugs.

And, the fuse holder itself is prone to loosening up on older plugs if the fuse has been changed several times. This too can result in very hot plugs.

Overall, I would argue that schuko (the proper earthed variety of sockets) is a fundementally far superior design and doesn't rely on added-on safety features like its British counterpart.