At the end of the day, you fella's are just going to have to swallow Part P and live with it.
I understand what you're trying to say Mike, but the whole thing has just been a complete shambles from the beginning (like everything else this present administration has interfered with).

I've been reading through comments on the IEE Forum and from various other boards, and it seems that everybody who has asked their local council about the implementation of part P has been told, in effect, "We have no idea." Remember that this is due to become law in little over a week's time.

As you know, I'm not doing wiring work every day of the week. I certainly cannot justify the fees for joining one of the recognized schemes for self-certification. So compliance with the new law is down to notification of works to the local council. As you saw from the response I received from them a few weeks ago, they have nothing in place yet to deal with it.

Those officials who have suggested any sort of system for test and inspection in their area seem to be saying that it will be under their present scale of building inspection charges, at least to begin. I've seen charges quoted ranging from £60 up to £200 to £500 for larger projects.

I do a lot of small jobs in this area for low-income families, pensioners struggling on their meager payments, etc.

So next time I do a quick job of installing an extra socket in a kitchen for, say, an old lady in the village, am I supposed to tell her that it will be £30 for me but she'll have to hand over an extra £60 for the council inspector? [Linked Image]