Guys, maybe one of you can allay my concerns somewhat?

In my student house, we have both a washing machine and a tumbledryer plugged into an extension lead, which I made (A double metal clad socket, with a compression gland and 5m of 1.5mm PVC(3183Y)) as our “utility room” has no powerpoints. My concern is over a frequent occurrence of the dryer plug, extension lead plug and the flex becoming “noticeably” warm during operation of the tumbledryer, regardless of the use of the washing machine. I noticed this, where no one else in the house did, mainly as I am, naturally, more conscious of these things.

The dryer plate states 2050W Loading. So, for the sake of argument, lets say 10A. So the loading on the extension lead (fused at 13A), with the washing machine off, is fine. I’ve disassembled the extension lead, checked all my wiring, and checked all the leads for any damage. I’ve checked the plug and connections on the dryer. All are tightly and correctly connected and no signs of damage, corrosion or poor/intermittant connection. My multi meter confirms no shorts or leaks to earth or P/N in the wiring up to the dryer, which should operate one of the fuses in this assembly anyway. No earth fault in the dryer either.

So what is causing this heating effect? I am far too suspicions of this to believe that the heat of the elements is conducting all the way back to the extension lead plug? I don’t see how it can be a prolonged overload on the extension lead, not without blowing the fuse.

I am more suspicious of this situation as, when I was younger and at my parents, I got burnt by the plug pins on our 18 year old tumbledryer. The neutral wire had totally burnt it self out throughout most of the flex, and the fuse had never blown.

For now we only use either the washing machine or the dryer at one time and the extension is on an RCD. ANY ideas or solutions?

Ash (LiveWireUK)