I don't quite follow. Why would you use a 3-phase cable for single phase? Are you allowed to turn any conductor into PE and N?

Well, when terminating in an insulated enclosure it's often easier to run a 3-c rather than t*t about trying to make a bonding terminal using/secured to the armour tag and thus make yet another hole in - say - a weatherproof enclosure. And theoretically you could use any conductor for any purpose if sleeved accordingly ( or taped ), but the designation Paul states in his post was the 'norm' [Linked Image]

Assuming brown is left as-is for the single phase line, which way round would you re-identify the remaining conductors for use a neutral and earth?

It would appear that the grey is used as the PE when sleeved G/Y Paul - or so I'm told [Linked Image] This leaves the black as the neutral which is "easy" to remember!! [Linked Image] The 'official' changes are: red>brown, yellow>black, blue>grey. Hmm...officialdom...

The 3-core SWA I have on stock has all three brown - you you pays yer money and takes yer choice! I also have 3 browns and a blue ( 4-c) which is a !"£$%^&* nightmare when the clown you have assisting you doesn't clip the ruddy numbers on properly in a nice big enclosure with multiple entries!! [Linked Image] Oh well...another adage - "You get what you pay for" !!!!!

[This message has been edited by uksparky (edited 11-05-2004).]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!