Hutch,

Great photos, and many thanks for taking the time to cross-link to the full-size images. You certainly get to some interesting places! [Linked Image]

It's kind of fun trying to decipher that specification plate. Isn't GOST the old Soviet standards agency? I would imagine GOST 5616-72 means either that the set complies with standard #5616 of 1972, or that it complies with 5616 and was built in 1972.

The next line down (on the right) seems to be the nominal rating of 212,000kVA (consistent with 13800V * 8880A * 1.73), and I would think the following line ("coefficient <something> 0.85") is the allowable power factor. That works out approximately correct with the 184,000 kW rating on the left.

Presumably the two lower specifications are rotor speeds in revs/minute, but what about the three "M" specifications on the left? It seems to say minimum and maximum on two of them, but min and max what? [Linked Image]

Back at the hotel in Senegoriye was this interesting receptacle marked ‘RADIO’ in Cyrillic letters. It fed a small wall-mounted speaker unit with only a volume control/on-off switch.
Could it be something like a 70 or 100V PA line?

I came upon this Latvian ad a while ago which seems to be a similar wired radio system, and C-H confirmed that a similar system was used in Sweden at one time.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-19-2004).]