Hello, I'm from Canada and working overseas for 6 Months. Every week I get a call to see what the problem is with someone's electrical appliance. When I get there I see that the appliance was plugged into a step down transformer 220/110 ,nameplate on appliance says 120V 60Hz, people always forget that we are overseas and that the frequency is different. They think that that little transformer changes the frequency for them. Silly people!
Usually if the appliance has electronics and it is not working anymore I tell them its because of the frequency and that they may have ruined it.If there were motors in it and they saw some smoke well I tell them to go buy a new one and make sure of the ratings. I don't even meter them anymore.
I have looked on the web about 60Hz appliances being plugged into 50Hz and the info I got was that it just slowed down motors and made digital clocks not work. Wouldn't the change in frequency affect the impedence of any circuit that is not purely resistive? Well I tell them to buy a new appliance good for 50/60 or just 50 if they are not taking it back to Canada.
Anyone have any thoughts on the effects of different Hz on equipment?