It would be interesting to find out exactly what they did do.

I don't know if NIE could have adopted anything different to UK policy though if 240V was specified in British Standard or IEE rule.

It's quite possible that the ESB moved on its own to 230V in the 1980s though to bridge the gap.

----

Slightly off topic but..

There are lots of technical issues where Ireland's had unusual setups with the UK.

E.g. in Telecommunications:

Eircell and Vodafone (in Northern Ireland anyway) operated roaming on ETACS analogue! (from the mid 80s) As far as I'm aware the only place that ETACS roaming was ever used. From what I remember of it, in the early days it wasn't very reliable and you could only recieve calls on the roaming network. It developed and worked quite effectively though. You also had to advise Eircell or Vodafone that you needed the service switched on etc. I presume they passed your IMEI (or whatever ETACS called it) number over to the other network and gave you temporary access. It certainly wasn't as seamless as GSM and your incomming calls would be prefixed with "This call is being diverted.. please hold" (repeated about 5 times)

Did similar arrangements exsist between the countries using NMT in Scandinavia & Finland?
Or between Germany & Austria?
or perhaps the BeNeLux countries?
--------------------------------

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 12-30-2003).]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 12-30-2003).]