I've visited Japan and superficially at least the electrical outlets look just like NEMA outlets although they seem to have very few grounded outlets and most appliences are Class II with the exception of semi-fixed appliences which had a plug like this:

[Linked Image from powercords.co.uk] the ground was connected seperately. Adaptors were also available to connect 3 pin plugs up like this..

The voltage is 100 V at 50Hz in Eastern Japan including Tokyo
and 100V 60Hz in Western Japan including Osaka

Apparently power plants in eastern Japan were originally kitted out by European companies and were standardised on 50Hz and Western Japan was electrified by US companies and thus adopted 60Hz .. I get the impression it was something to do with the US occupation of Japan post WWII.

However, Japan seems to have settled on a common 100V system regardless of frequency. I guess it was just too problematic to change frequency.

Almost all modern japanese equipment handles either 50 or 60 Hz but if you are using US equipment it may not be too hapy on 50Hz.

Step up / Step down transformers are available too for sensitive 120V US equipment used in Japan or 100V Japanese equipment used in the USA.

As for 200V supplies I'm sure there must be a higher voltage sytem for use with heavier appliences it wouldn't be all that practical to supply 3KW dishwashers etc on 100V.

I found some stuff on the web saying that you can get 200V single phase at 50/60 Hz or 200V 3-phase supplies in japan for heavy equipment.

----

What is the official US voltage?

I hear 110V, 115, 120 and even 125V mentioned.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 11-24-2003).]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 11-24-2003).]