Steve,

I've been estimating for almost 2 years now. I work for a small electrical contractor in Spring, TX, which is just outside Houston. The majority of our work is in the Houston area.

I went down to the Joint Apprentceship Training Center yesterday, and filled out an application to become an instructor. So, it looks as if I will be a teacher as well.

As far as estimating is concerned, I mostly do commercial estimates. I know how to do residential, and industrial work, but I would have some trouble adjusting the labor units on both of those types of work. Heck, I would bet that many residential electrical contractors in my area cut their labor units by 40%, and still make money. With our electricians being used to doing commercial jobs, we would lose our shirts out there trying to compete with the "resi's". [Linked Image]

This business has taught me a lot, but I feel that I'm at the tip of the iceburg as far as learning is concerned. Out of some 40,000 electricians in the city of Houston, there are less than 700 of us who are Masters, but even with being in such a small group, I know many Journeyman who have "forgotten more about electrical work than I ever learned." So, I press forward, imparting knoweledge to those who will give ear to my words, and learning from even the "greenest apprentice" on the entire job.

What kind of estimates do you do for this laboratory? I would be interested to know.

Also, thanks for the kind words, they are well taken. Have a nice day......

Humbly,
Slam
HMEL #688