Guys,
Thanks for the input.
I have just had a good 1on1 chat with the guy concerned, at home here.
But, there are a few things that I SHOULD have mentioned in my original posting:
  • This guy is a 19 y/o aprentice who is half way through his 4 year apprenticeship.
  • The guy is great to work with when he is not hung-over, very capable and friendly.
  • Like the rest of us at work, he is stressed beyond belief!.

In our wee chat, I warned the guy that his future at work is looking very grim, if changes are'nt made.
The guy just sat there and then burst into tears, I can tell you, it was a not a moment I was enjoying, in the least!.
I also talked (in confidence) to his Father(the other day)and he said to give the kid one more chance and if he blew it, sack him!
I have no say in the hiring or firing at work(thank God!!).
The guy has agreed to seek help over his drinking problem(he admitted first off, that his drinking was getting out of hand)and I'm glad that we've had our little session, talking about it.
But, one thing that get's my goat is, and I would invite you guys to comment on is this:
  • All of us guys, as workers, are required to be SUPER-efficient and not feel any of the effects of stress, etc, that comes from working in a service industry, but when someone starts to burn-out or turns to the bottle to relieve the effects of this break-neck pace caused by overwork, etc.
    Who really cares at the end of the day, because I know for a fact, that if my Boss had have handled this above case, I would have had a new workmate to train up(from scratch).
    (throw that one out, get the next one, no time for losers mentality!!).

We've lost a few people to Burn-out!, too.