You guys at ECN are pretty reliable with advice. [Linked Image]
But I have something that will make you all wonder what the Hell is going on over here.
The only reason why I am divulging this sort of info, is because I have a hunch, that someone is up to no good.
(Bear in mind, this will be a huge post!)
Right, let's cut to the chase!.
I am of the opinion that there is a guy here in Ashburton, that is trying to burn his house down for the insurance money, but I cannot be sure that this is what is going on.
This fellow, is the only person living in the house(which was inherited from his Father), the house itself was built in the 1900's and was fully re-wired in 1983, it has 8 bedrooms,2 lounges and massive hallways.
But, a few incidents in the last week have made me wonder( at the same place)
These are:
  • Saturday 17th(1000Hrs)- Fire service responds to multiple 111 calls regarding smoke escaping from under roofing iron, a small fire was located in the roof void and extinguished.
    Apparently, this was put down to a localised Electrical Fault, the guy was told by the Officer in Charge of the Incident to get the wiring checked, no more was said.
    I was there to pull the Mains Fuse, by the PoCo regs.
  • Sunday 18th(0400Hrs)
    Fire Brigade responds to a fire in one of the bedrooms, this time caused by a lamp that had "fallen over", brigade controls blaze to this room alone, extensive smoke damage to the ceiling and walls of this room.
    (As an aside to this,I was talking with the Officer in charge of the first appliance, and he said that the guy was up and dressed when they arrived, now considering that this guy sleeps at the other end of the house to where the fire occured and with the added effect of not having smoke detectors in the house, don't you find this strange?)
  • Tuesday 20th [Linked Image]2330Hrs)Brigade responds to a fire in Living room, that originated (so I think) in the opposite side of the room to any possible heat source.
    Even though the guy says that the incident could have been caused by the Open Fire, there was no wood or ash in the fireplace.
    I was the Officer in charge at this incident and I had a good look around this place and I checked the switchboard, just out of curiousity(sp?).
    What I saw at the switchboard, scared me, and this is not easily done these days.
    The fuses were just a "front" and all of the Line and Load side wires were twisted together and put into the terminals on the fuse base.
    This incident wrecked the Kitchen, Dining area, adjoining Bedroom, the Rear Porch and almost brought the whole roof down on us.

I was talking to an insurance assessor a few days later(he contacted me regarding my FIRS 132 report of the incident), I told him what I knew.
What really annoys me is the fact that people like me are paying for all of this BS.
What are your thoughts on this?
What do you think of this guy's attempt to defraud the insurance companies?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-24-2003).]