the two RCDs are on the board but on different rows. I think the lightening protection may have been installed as the house is on an exposed hill and supplied overhead. Although at least the installer cared! I'd rather spend the extra few euro on the moduel than have my computers, tv, vcr etc wiped out by a lightening induced surge. Its not required by the regs though.

As far as I know RCDs have been a manditory requirement of the ETCI rules here since about 1980 on all socket circuits but they're generally found on all modern installations predating 1980 and have been normal good practice for as long as they've been available. The older ELCB switches are found on some older systems although generally get swapped for a modern RCD during any electrical work as they are not as fast-acting/reliable.

The second RCB in this system seems to be dealing with the water heater & cooker exclusively.

All modern irish boards would have one neozed or diazed fuse protecting the whole system. I've never seen any other type of fuse in use here.

Old boards would be completely Diazed usually 5, 10 and 16 amp (sockets) radials with a 32amp for the cooker or 32 amp rings. They tend to have be retrofitted with an RCD.

The power company's installation terminates on a heavy 80/100amp fuse and in more recent systems a sealed isolation switch demarkating the end of their part of the system after the meter allowing very safe isolation standardised by the ESB (powercompany).

I get the impression that things are done in a slightly more European way here than in the UK though. Lots of siemens gear, very standardised 220V 50Hz supply (since the 1930s) and schuko recessed recepticles were the original standard despite the odd BS 546 system sneaking in here and there although where it was used generally only the 15 amp sockets were installed on 16 amp radials. I've never seen a 10 amp receptical and the two amps were/are used very occasionally for lighting only. They're used for wall-switch controlled lamps even today but are not officially recognised as an irish standard. I've seen MK "keyed" BS1363 plugs used for lighting although i'd guess the 2amp round pin plugs are easier to come by.

BS1363 is the officially accepted standard now though as IS 401 & IS 401/A

Radial circuits seem to be much more commonly used here than in the UK however, not quite sure why. Lots of homes seem to have very large distribution boards in comparison to British systems at least. Usually see at least 3 rows of MCBs on hager/siemens boards.
The ETCI specifies 32 amp rings as suitable for socket outlets accepting fused plugs (IS 401) just like in the UK. Perhaps Irish sparkies frown/ed on their use? or suspect that they may need to switch to schuko someday and want to make life easy [Linked Image] I'll we'd have to do is swap the 20 amp breakers for 16 amp and replace the wallplates.