Yes, the range/cooker has its own dedicated circuit, but it's not at all unusual to find one ring feeding all of the remaining sockets in the kitchen, not only countertop receptacles for toasters, kettles, etc., but also those for a washing machine, dishwasher, and dryer.

Sometimes it's a result of the latter being added in recent years, but I've also seen new kitchens wired with a single ring to include all three.

The IEE rule regarding a maximum floor area of 100 sq. meters per ring is observed, but to my mind designs frequently ignore the requirement that this should also be subject to the anticipated load. Large dryers (meaning 4kW by British standards) have to have their own circuit, but most domestic types are 3kW and fitted with a regular 13A plug. That's a 3kW load that could easily be running continuously for 2 hours or more.

The washer and dishwasher elements are also generally 3kW, though obviously running for a much shorter period. But these days, people do expect to be able to run two or even all three of these appliances simultaneously, as well as using the microwave oven and kettle which are likely to be on the same circuit.

I'd like to see dedicated circuits specified for dryers, washers, and dishwashers.

David,
Although subject to the same IEE Regs as us, it seems that you have certain accepted practices in Scotland which differ from those south of the border. Do you see dedicated circuits regularly for these appliances? Do you prefer to install such ccts yourself?

Trumpy,
I found a ring a few weeks ago which had each end fed from a separate fuse. I'd been pulling one fuse at a time, and replacing each one as I went to identify the circuit. Of course, when the last one came out and I still had power, I started to smell rodent....

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-18-2002).]