There's still a fair quantity of the old TRS cable in use in England too, although it's gradually diminishing as places are rewired. Most of it by now is getting to the point of being very brittle and crumbly, especially the ends entering light fixtures. Most of the latter just fall apart as soon as you touch them by now.

India used BS546 round-pin plugs, and still does according to sources I've seen. You'll also find that they were adopted in many other British-influenced places, e.g. Kenya and some other African countries, and a few Caribbean islands such as Dominica. Some have since adopted the fused BS1363 plug, but others have stayed with BS546 types. (Some British places use American plugs and 120V supplies, e.g. Bermuda, British Virgin Islands. I assume this arose simply due to the geographical convenience of having America on their doorstep to supply lots of cheap electrical parts.)

Thanks for that pic Hutch. The Argentinian plug also has active & neutral the opposite way around to Australia/N.Z. Maybe this ties in with the item I mentioned elsewhere about the Aussie/Kiwi plug not having the active/neutral positions defined at one time. Presumably Argentina also decided to define them and ended up with the opposite scheme.

By the way, you can find a reasonable list of supply systems and plugs at this link.

I say "reasonable," because I've seen some similar lists which appear to contain numerous errors. I can't say this one covers everything, but it's better than many.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-05-2002).]