4A fuses? They've been discontinued here in Austria years ago, replaced by 6A ones that also have been discontinued or at least aren't sold in bigger hardware stores any more. Smallest fuse size commonly available is 10A.

These weren't even the "modern" Diazed II fuses, but the ancient Diazed I. Much smaller, with a maximum fuse size of 15A. When I found a store who still had 4A fuses in stock, the clerk refused to sell them to me. Instead he sold me 6A fuses and new "keys"... (He failed to convince me to go for 10A fuses)

Do you fuse the neutral in sweden as it is done here?
No.

BTW. Do Austria use the TT or the TN-C-S system?

Now for Paul's comment:

Thanks C-H. I hadn't realized that 127/220V 3-phase was also used in Sweden, although I know it was employed in some other parts of Europe, e.g. France and Spain.

I think it must have been used quite widely in Europe, since it has managed to spread to a number of former colonies.

I've seen references which indicate that some areas of Norway actually employ an non-earthed 230/400V distribution system.

A non earthed 230/400V system? I have never heard of such a thing. This of course doesn't mean it doesn't exist. AFAIK Norway uses both the standard earthed 230/400V system and a 230V unearthed system. The latter has 230V phase-phase and hence no neutral. The transformer is unearthed (a so called IT system) and the earth conductors are only used to prevent electric shock in case of a double fault. I.e. two appliances that has become live and are on different phases. By earthing the system a short circuit between the two appliances will develop, blowing the fuse(s). (The houses do have a earth rod and an RCD.) Unfortunately I know toolittle about this system to present any closer details.

Has any such arrangement ever been used in Sweden too?

Well, "ever been used" is a rather wague in this case. Everything that the twisted mind of an engineer can come up with has probably been used at one time or the other.

(The first Swedish generator refused to work since it had one earth conductor too many. It took days before they found the error.)

The electrical regulations in the U.K. have specified that all public supplies must have one pole solidly earthed since at least the 1930s.

You can say that the UK has always been very down to earth when it comes to grounding...

{Edited only for brackets. Paul}

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-22-2002).]