Wago connectors, yes I've heard of them!
Around 10 years ago the company were advertising in a UK trade magazine "Professional Electrician" & offering a free sample, I think they are still lurking in the back of the shed. I never had the confidence to use them.
I don't think they have ever caught on in the UK, as I've never seen them in any wholesale supplier.

Porcelain wire nuts known as "Screwits" (trade name) were the standard connector used inside junction boxes here, pre 1970-1, when cables went metric solid strand.
I am told they were banned after metrication as they were blamed for poor connections (with solid 1 & 1.5mm cables) and subsequent fires."Screwits" or any other type of wire nut have not been available in the UK in the 20 years I have worked in the trade. There is no way I would use wire nuts, as I do not believe they make a safe, secure connection.

Strip connectors in ceilings!
I see this constantly, sometimes wrapped in tape or worse bare.
Either way both are a contravention of BS 7671.
Fellow UK members may be aware there is now a solution for these installations. It is called a "CHOCBOX", manufactured by Electro Expo Ltd. Tel +44 (0)1992 640999. This is a connector cover, complete with cable clamps, which can be retrofitted around existing bare connectors or used in new installations to comply with regs.
I have started to use these in preference to joint boxes for the final connection of recessed downlights, it keeps me & the SELECT inspector happy!