You can still get the operator to connect long-distance calls here, but unless you really need to (e.g. for collect calls, called "reverse charge") you'd be mad to do it, as it's horrendously expensive.

The days of knowledgable operators are gone as well. A couple of years ago I called our international operator to ask for a current U.S. area code (somewhere in N.C. if I recall correctly). She said "00 1" (prefix and U.S. country code) so I expectantly waited for the rest. "That's it," she said, "00 1." I tried to explain that I needed the 3-digit area code, but no luck. She didn't seem to even understand what I was asking for. Quicker to just call the AT&T operator direct and get it.

I had a similar experience trying to get a number in Ireland from directories here. I ended up having to give the operator a lesson in Irish number schemes
but still didn't get it. He kept giving me a 1850 number which can't be dialed from outside Ireland. I eventually called the Irish operator who took pity on me and connected me for free!

I don't like the sound of twisted and taped wires just buried direct in plaster. It sounds like something a GC I know would suggest.

Similar routing restrictions apply under IEE Regs.: Horizontal runs within top or bottom 1 ft. (300mm), vertical drops in line with fittings where possible, and no diagonal runs.

The smallest size cable currently permitted is 1 sq. mm., although that's reserved almost completely for 5A lighting ciruits. We use 0.75 sq. mm only for flexible cords.

Most wall switches and receptacles used domestically here are a one-piece device and cover plate. Individual devices and plates are available, but tend to be more expensive so they're used mostly in commercial work.

Where individual devices and plates are used they usually need to be the same manufacturer. They all fit standard size mounting boxes though, as do most of the one-piece types.

Do you like the Schuko plugs and sockets? I know it doesn't really matter for most appliances, but I'm not sure I'm happy about them not being polarized. There are one or two cases where it can be important. Did Austria ever use any other type?