Originally posted by sparky:
Thanks, sorry for the fuss. The 'dual-usage' of a conductor as both N & G h

No problem. The various sytems used often create cnfusion for the uninitiated here, along with the conversion process of recent years.

In my area (Eastern Energy) all of the LV distribution systems have now been converted to PME (i.e. the extra ground rods have been installed by the utility), but there's no obligation for anyone to change their existing grounding arrangemets. It simply means that grounding to the neutral is now available as an option for everyone.

Note however, that our IEE Regs. specify stricter bonding requirements for water, gas pipes etc. if a house uses PME grounding, to safeguard against the effects of a lost incoming neutral.

I cannot wait for the local utilities to schedule every disconnect/reconnect, meter pull etc,

The open layout of our residential service entrance coupled with the all-insulated design of many domestic panels means that it's sometimes possible to do a "hot" changeover and avoid a utility call-out, which is billed at about 30 pounds (U.S. $45) in this area.

If the service fuse has to be pulled, I usually try to get everything ready for the swap and get the guy to wait 20 mins. or so so power can be restored quickly & without a second call-out fee. Most of the "meter men" in this area are happy to do that in exchange for a coffee/cold drink and the chance for a quick break and a friendly chat. Probably different in our big cities these days though.

one more thing....
what does power cost there?

Electricity's one of the few things which has remained stable in the last few years and hasn't soared in price.

From my latest bill:

Standard cost per kWh 6.51p., 9.8 cents

Night rate 2.78p., 4.2 cents

Plus standing charge £9.88, $14.82
per quarter (3 mo.)

Night rate operates midnight - 7AM in winter, 1AM - 8AM in summer.

This is the Economy 7 system. The basic tariff has a slightly lower quarterly charge, but the full cost per kWh 24 hrs.

Prices vary slightly in other regions,but aren't much dfferent.