Just to let all of you complaining about the effects of deregulation know that we're having problems with it here as well.

Fortunately, we've avoided blackouts etc., but trying to figure out just who is responsible for what anymore is getting harder all the time.

In my part of England, electricity was always provided by the Eastern Electricity Board. It had been that way for decades. Sure there were different depts. for accounts, engineering, etc., but no problems getting through to the right person.

A few years ago they started selling off sections. We now have 24-Seven who look after all outside lines, both HV and LV. Meter moves, replacements, and reading are handled by a separate company - Siemens. The billing and accounts side become Eastern Energy, as they are now selling gas in the area as well.

Just to make things even, people can now pay British Gas for their electricity. It's all delivered via the same network, though.

To cap it all, I just got a letter a couple of days ago, complete with no-expense-spared glossy leaflets, telling me that Eastern Energy is now changing to a new company called TXU Energi (sic).

It used to be so simple.....