I now work in IT and Network support, I am often having to upgrade or re-image friends and families PCs, and this is often their dilemma. The answer, essentially, boils down to which OS your computer can comfortably run and application (your use of the system). By “comfortably run” I mean, are you going to be sitting for ages waiting and have to go away and make a cuppa before Word loads.

The “stated” minimum specification for Windows 2000 and XP are: Pentium 133; 64M RAM; 2GB HDD (with 650M free) and 300Mhz CPU; 64MB RAM (128 Recommended); 1.5GB free HDD (For setup and Install), Respectively.

I wouldn’t recommend installing either OS on these systems. Realistically, I wouldn’t recommend installing them on less than ~ 600MHz CPU with upwards of 128M RAM, and this would be far from lightning fast.

If you system specification is good for either, then the deciding factor is performance against application. Windows XP can be said to be better because of the security, support and media enhancements. If the system were a standalone with no Internet connection and is only ever used, say, for Word and Excel, then 2000 would be the better choice, as it would perform slightly better than XP on the same spec. If, however, the system is used largely for Internet and exists in an environment that is not behind a firewall, such as is with Dial-Up or single PC USB modem A/DSL connection, then XP is a better choice as it comes with a built-in Firewall.

Software firewalls, such as ZoneAlarm, can be downloaded and ran with 2000 to provide firewalling. Don’t forget you’re going to want a virus scanner too! AVG Free is reasonable or, for purchase, F-Secure Antivirus (I’m sorry, but I cannot stand Norton or McAfee, from a support view, they’re a nightmare!)

So, all things being equal and the spec allows for either; choose 2000 if the system were not on the Internet, or solely used for word-processing and choose XP if the system is used largely for the Internet and music/multimedia.

Hope this is of some help

Ash